Sunday, May 27, 2007

Farewell to Falwell, Saying Goodbye To A Special Hero!

Hebrews 9:27
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.


Earlier this week, millions of people from around the world, said goodbye to one of the most
controversial and conservative figures in our country, as Jerry Falwell was laid to rest, Tuesday, May 22, '07, in Lynchburg Va.

For
tunately, we were able to attend his funeral and this is our prospective regarding that memorable event.

Jerry Falwell was not only a great leader, visionary, pastor, chancellor, businessman, father and political influencer…he was our mentor and dear friend.

Love or hate him….or land somewhere in the middle, Jerry Falwell was 'cussed and discussed', yet he made a difference for the cause of Christ.

Most baby boomers remember Dr. Falwell for his 20+ year conflict with Larry Flynt, (Editor and Chief, Hustler Magazine).

However, what the media rarely reported regarding the conflict between Flynt and Falwell is that these two men became friends, although their interpretation of The First Amendment was polar opposite.

In drafting this post, it is (sooooo) tempting to be sidetracked, elaborating on issues such as, cultural and political inconsistencies that surface, specific to that of The First Amendment, The Bill of Rights and The U.S. Constitution.

There were so many good attributes modeled by Dr. Falwell, but one that stood head and shoulders above the rest, at least to us, was his ability to oppose someone’s position, while keeping his testimony and building respect from the opposition in the process.

However, for the sake of this post, we will focus on the life of our hero, Jerry Falwell and the bittersweet experience of being able to attend his funeral earlier this week. We loved him dearly!! He was a man faithful in sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ at every opportunity. Over 3 million people put their trust in Christ over the course of his lifetime.

There is more to come on this subject soon. BTW, we trust that everyone has an enjoyable Memorial Day!

God Bless America and our troops that protect this great nation.

Rick and Mick

3 comments:

Larry & Sheila Colclasure said...

Hi guys! Loved your article and the pix. Hope you will share more pix in the future. We loved Dr. Falwell and count it an honor to have been under his ministry for 8 years. While on staff, Larry had a couple of incidences with Jerry that still make us laugh today. While I was fighting cancer I got an email from him telling me he was praying for me. Then 4 years later he saw me and, though he was late catching a plane, walked over and said, "How's your health. I've been praying for you." He even remembered and asked about Larry's counseling center here in Dallas. When I think of Jerry I always think of the phrase "he stood in the gap". When no one else was, Jerry was - and die. We loved him and miss him. Larry and Sheila Colclasure

Southern Cheesehead said...

I'm glad you guys are in the blogging world and I can keep up with you better!
I'm so glad that you were able to attend the funeral. Charles rocked the house on "Bowed on my Knees"...I ran across it the other night on tv.
I hope you guys are doing well...we miss you and are praying for the ministry...we'd appreciate it if you prayed for our local ministry!
Blessings on your heads!!!
Ernie & Michele Willis

drpete said...

Hi Rick and Mick!
Our mutual friend, Jonathan, informed me of your blog site. I am excited about the prospect of keeping up with your ministry via this communication tool. Please know that I will share this blog site with others. May the Lord continue to bless your ministry because it is desperately needed in this day and time.

Dr. Gary Peters